The flights were really not that bad. Ok, maybe there were a few moments! :o) Like the last 1/2 hour of our flight into Amsterdam ... ... plug your ears people ... she isn't going to quit screaming ... until she gets out of this seatbelt!!! Or the meltdown we (ok, she) had on the Amsterdam to Chicago flight ... but that too came to an end.
What I remember more ... is that I was the proud Mommy of two adorable girls. I was prepared for them to cry all the way ... so the few eruptions we had ... were really brief in comparison to the amount of time we spent in the air (or sitting at the gate!).
The girls had faced SO MUCH change in the previous 5 days ... I couldn't even imagine how they were processing it.
God gave us an amazing gift on our flight from Amsterdam to Chicago ... his name is Chuck. He sat next to Juliya and was sooooooooooooooooooo sweet to her ... it still brings tears to my eyes thinking of it! Chuck is a very successful business man from Chicago. He could have buried his head in a paper or his work ... but he chose to befriend a little girl and her family ... and we will always be forever grateful for his friendliness during that flight!!
Nataliya took to cleaning the airplane with baby wipes ... who knew that could be such fun!!
After arriving in Chicago we were met at the airport by Chris' parents and two of my brothers (Don & Jon). It was wonderful to see loved ones again. Juliya ran right up to her new Bushka ... which of course we all found amazing ... and precious!!
We stayed that night at a hotel in Chicago. The girls had the chance to meet some of their "extended" family. Paul & Chris and Elsa Bickett, Jeff & Janna and Zach & Seth Mudlin, and Auntie Janelle. It was a sweet time to all be together. Even though we were totally exhausted and hadn't slept in about 28 hours!
Here are some pictures of the journey!
1) Daddy, Juliya and Mr. Chuck!!!
2) Nataliya cleaning the seats on the KLM 747 ... we could have kept her busy doing this for a very long time!!!
3) Uncle Jon (from San Diego, CA), Uncle Don (from Madison, WI), Mommy (their sister) and the girls.4.
Nataliya and Zach Mudlin ... have a blast together!!!Our first day ended in America with the girls falling asleep right in the middle of all the commotion ... while everyone was still there! They were tired! Unfortunately, Juliya was awake at 2:00 am ... and NOT too happy about where she was or what was going on. It was loud and ugly for about 2 hours. :o) But that too passed ... and I would have been screaming and crying if I were her too ... just ask my mom ... :o)

2 comments:
We are in process of adopting a little girl from Ukraine. I happened across your blog and wondered what "issues" you were told the girls had when you went to the SDA?
We had our first appointment a little over a week ago and all the children they showed us had lots of problems. The wait time has significantly increased for a second appointment...1-3 months. We have to go back sometime in the coming months.
Anyhow...just wondering about your experience and any insight you may have regarding medical issues, how they adapted when in the States, dealing with officials, etc.
I'll check back on your blog and see what's up!
I'm so glad I found you on Facebook! Thanks for the link to your blog! I've been blogging for almost 3 years and love it.
I'm so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so happy for you! What an amazing journey you are on and your little girls are so very beautiful!
I hope to reconnect with both of you via blogging, facebook, email, etc. Life stays busy for us, but busy in a good, good way.
We have so much love & appreciation for the time & energy you've invested in our lives at Boot Camp several years ago!
Chris & Lisa
www.shinnsstew.blogspot.com
Post a Comment